Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I Am A Phone Whore!!!

GRRRR why didn't my last entry space the correct way????

Anywho, I was going to do this entry later this week before I leave for PA but I figured I am in the typing mood now so why not?

Yes, I am a phone whore, I work in a call center for a very well know Wireless phone provider's customer service. I started this job in June after we moved down to Tennessee, it was a hugh change from what I am used to doing for work.

Before becoming a phone whore I was a fast food whore. Yep you heard that right I am proud to admit that I worked in fast food...lol. Well not really proud more so not ashamed to admit it. I was an assistant manager and almost had my own store as General Manager but I just couldn't do it anymore. The stress was getting to me and I knew becoming a Store Manager would just add to that stress.

Anywho, so when I moved down here I just started to fill out applications EVERY where. From food places to retail to whatever I could find that was hiring. Let me tell you I HATE this whole online application process, because I didn't hear a thing from anyone!! I would rather write on an application and hand it to a manager.

Since I wasn't hearing anything from any of the places I had put applications in at I went to a Career Center here and got listings for places that were hiring. This place that I work out now I had to actually go in for the application (wooohooo something I could do IN PERSON!!!!). I was told that day to come back in for some testing (typing test, common knowledge test etc) and a few days after that I got a call back for an interview, I had the job by the end of the interview!

Let me tell you I was really excited, this was something I never done before I had always worked in a place that I had to run around like a chicken with my head cut off. This was totally different I would be sitting at a desk all day.

So I went in for my 5 weeks of training, I had to sit in a classroom for 5 weeks learning polices and how to work through the system. After 5 weeks I took my first real call. WHOA, hmmm my excitment about the job dropped, it was scary I had nooooo clue what I was getting myself into. By my third day I was on the phone during one of my breaks crying to my husband that I didn't think I could do it...lol. Ahhh but here I am 250+ days, 2 raises and a promotion later and I actually like my job.

After 3 months of hearing the beep when another call would come in with a customer complaining that their teenager had texted a million and one times that month and now they had a $4000.00 dollar phone bill (ok total stretch of the truth, ok well some cases not really I have seen a cell phone bill for $75,000 I kid you not!!!!) I got a latteral (sp?) promotion, it wasn't more money an hour, but it looks good on my job history I moved to the Commitment team. I know longer receive calls I make them.

No, I am not a telemarketer. When someone calls into our center and for whatever reason they need to be called back because their account needs further research or such I am the one that calls them back. Yeah it is pretty nice, half of the time when I call someone back I get their voice mail and have to leave a message, or just have to send them a text message.

Funny store, there was this one account I was working on and the customers name was Abraham his last name began with an L I don't remember what it was and I would put that info in here any way. Of course when I saw his name it made me think of Abraham Lincoln. So I went to call him and THANK GOD I got his VM (voicemail) because I said "Hi this message is for Abraham Lincoln..." again THANK GOD it was his cell phone because I was able to re-record the message. Yeah I giggled for a while after that one...lol.

The reason I decided to tell you what I do is because I am sure in the future I will be telling you stories about some of the accounts I have seen and customers I have dealt with. Of course it won't be details because I could lose my job. But let me tell you I have dealt with some crazy customers and some jacked up accounts like the account for $75,000. Like the woman who couldn't verify the account and I couldn't help her with anything and she just started crying and screaming saying she needed her service restored because how was she going to call the cops the next time her boyfriend beat her. Yeah lots of crazies.

So yep now you know what I do for a living.

I think I am going to go to bed now.

Until later.

1 comment:

Bridgett said...

Oh my. Sounds like some job! LOL

I tell ya, I don't think the profession matters, you'll find crazies no matter what your job.

I'm an RN (although I'm not currently working) and you wouldn't believe some of the things I've heard and seen with that job. LOL

XOXO